TOYOTA 2000GT, Sports800 (Specifications and Performance of Vintage Japanese Cars)
Automobiles largely serve two purposes. The first, of course, is as a means of transportation. The second is as an expression of the owner’s personal interests. The automobile as a means of transportation is no longer just a fast and convenient way to travel. Influenced by environmental and other concerns, the criteria by which automobiles are judged has changed considerably over the past quarter-century.
Given this background—and in fact, perhaps even precisely because of this background—automobiles that capture not just their owners’ imaginations but those of car enthusiasts everywhere are even more valuable than ever. No matter how strong the need for practical convenience, I certainly hope that the automobile will never come to be seen as a mere appliance.
It was just 25 years ago that I wrote the Sekai no Meisha (World’s Classic Cars) series of 30 books about cars that had captured my imagination. I wrote that series out of my love for these cars and because I wanted to share how I felt with other car enthusiasts. This new edition of selected volumes from that series has been specially prepared for publication in ebook format.
It is my sincerest hope that these books will bring an appreciation of these historic Japanese cars to a new generation of readers, both in Japan and around the world.
- Preface by the supervisor
- Three models that epitomize sports cars in the 1960s
- Toyota 2000GT
- The good old days for sports cars
- Mechanical details
- Driving impressions
- TOYOTA 1600GT
- A chiseled form that won the admiration of young drivers
- Mechanical details
- Toyota Sports 800
- Eternal Rivals: the Ess-roku and the Yota-‐hachi
- Driving Impressions
- The Forgotten Concept Model
- Toyopet X
- Mr. Akio Kazama talks about his experience at the Toyota Service Center
- The Story of Toyota -1962 to 1970
- Motor shows in the early 1960s
- Unveiling of a prototype: the Toyota S800
- The Toyota Sports 800
- Unveiling of a prototype: the Toyota 2000GT
- The Toyota 2000GT
- The Toyota 1600GT
- Changes in the Toyota 2000GT and Sports 800